19 May: Bye bye Africa, back to Dubai

Lucky Brett rung the reception at 6:30 re wanting the bike boxes early – as they were actually storing them at another hotel! We also rung the transport firm to check they were expecting 2 bikes in boxes, which they were. The shuttle turned up with a trailer which was the perfect size for two bike boxes.

When we were leaving the hotel I was walking along the corridor and I turned quickly to ask Brett something, and stood on my tip toes on my right leg – and managed to pull or tear my calf muscle so I am now limping.

We got to the airport with heaps of time to check in . I was overall under the weight limit but had to take 2 kg out of my checked baggage and put it into carry on. Doesn’t seem to make good sense to me, as it is in the same plane! Initially Brett was told he was 12.5 kg over, but after a bit of discussion they agreed to accept his Qantas allowance.

We had a meal at the airport before getting on the plane. The plane was not full, so Brett and I had 3 seats. The plane ride was uneventful, 9 hours to Dubai.

Pleased to be having a break in Dubai and don’t have to get straight onto the 12 hour flight to Sydney.

It took ages to get the bike boxes, then we found we were waiting in the wrong place. Once we got the boxes we then had to check into “left luggage” then make our way to the travel company Arabian Nights, who were taking us out to our hotel in the Palms. The Palms is a man made area of reclaimed land in the shape of a palm, and each frond has houses and hotels with mostly direct beach access.


Photo credit: Wikipedia

It was 2:30am by the time we arrived at Aloft hotel, and we were told there was a problem with our booking. If we checked in now we would have to check out at 2:30 am tomorrow. We explained a number of times that we had a 48 hour booking, and we were not being picked up until 6:30am.

Eventually it got sorted out, then the room key card was broken! We eventually got to our room and ordered room service, which took about 45 minutes to arrive. The person who delivered it was very insistent that it was paid on the spot, not put on the bill. Luckily I had got some cash at the airport.


Departure day in Cape Town, final chance to offload some stuff

Categories: Tour d'Afrique | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: